At WaveDirect, we're incredibly proud of our team and want to put the spotlight on these talented and hardworking individuals. We want you to meet, get to know, and understand the roles that each team member plays. It's time to put a face to WaveDirect and the people who work hard each and every day to provide unparalleled client experiences and internet connections.
We recently "sat down" (virtually) with a member of our Infrastructure and Design team, Jason, to ask him our burning questions about his VERY cool role and his life outside of work.
1) Describe your role and what it entails:
As an Infrastructure Implementation Expert, I help build and maintain our towers and the equipment on the towers. I also install access points on towers to improve our network.
2) What is the coolest part of your job?
The VIEW!!!! Being able to see everything from 300 feet in the air. Cameras do no justice.
3) What is the most challenging part of your job?
Winter climbing is not fun. Staying warm but not too warm to the point of overheating.
4) What is one thing you wish people knew about your profession?
Safety is top priority. When it comes to tower work, every job needs to be thought out and double-checked.
5) If someone were interested in creating a pathway to work in your profession what would you tell them? What past experiences/opportunities/schooling helped prepare you for your role?
Climbing towers does not require specific schooling, it is all company-specific. You just need to not be afraid of heights. The networking aspect is something that they can go to school for!
6) Describe WaveDirect in three words:
Internet Service Provider! LOL
Editors note: Very funny, Jason.. lol
7) Tell us about a fond memory you have from your time at WaveDirect:
We were working on building a tower and I managed to get a Bobcat Skidsteer stuck in the mud and it took far to long to get it out!
8) What is the best career advice someone ever gave you?
Dress for the job you want, not the job you have and do not measure your success based off others.
9) In your opinion, what makes a great leader?
A great leader understands all aspects of the job they want done and provide the proper tools and equipment to do the job as efficiently as possible.
10) What does “connection” mean to you?
To me, “connection” means: a relationship in which a person, thing, or idea is linked or associated with something else.
11) What is your favourite pastime/hobby?
Camping with my family.
12) Who/what inspires you?
My wife. She is the strongest and most supportive person I know!
13) What is your favourite movie or TV show?
14) When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
15) What is your favourite thing to use the internet for?
16) What is your #1 travel spot on your bucket list?
17) If you won the lottery, what would be the first thing you would do?
Right now pay off my house without COVID-19, take my family to Hawaii.
18) What is the coolest thing you own?
My camping trailer
19) What is your favourite tech. gadget, item, software, .. etc.?
Currently my Apple Watch
20) Go back in time and give yourself a piece of advice:
Buy stock in BitCoin and Tesla!
21) What are you most looking forward to in 2021?
We want to take this moment to thank Jason for his time, and for sharing details of his work and personal life with us. Thank you, Jason! We are lucky to have you on the WaveDirect team.